Your basket is currently empty!
Vanilla Cone Cakes
One of our Community Ambassadors, Margaret Brindle has shared one of her favourite recipes and these are always a favourite at Margaret’s regular Bake Sales.
Margaret says these cupcakes will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container and her top tip: Don’t have a piping bag? Use a sandwich bag and snip a small hole in one of the bottom corners.
Thank you Margaret for sharing your recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 50g dark or milk chocolate chips
- 12 cup cornets (with flat bottoms)
- chocolate flakes or twirl bars, each cut to your preferred size
- For the buttercream 60g butter, softened
- 120g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100s an 1000s
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk or wooden spoon for 5 mins until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time with 1 tbsp flour, beating well
- Whisk in the remaining flour, vanilla extract and milk until just combined
- Put the cornets in a muffin tin just as you would a cupcake case
- Use a teaspoon to fill the cones two-thirds full with batter, then smooth the tops.
- Carefully transfer the tin to the oven and bake for 25 mins until the cakes are risen and golden, and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Transfer the cones to a wire rack to cool completely
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and ½ tbsp boiling water in a bowl with an electric whisk or wooden spoon until fluffy and nearly doubled in volume
- Transfer to a piping bag with a star nozzle and swirl onto the cooled cakes when ready to serve
- Sprinkle with 100s and 1000s