Your basket is currently empty!
Spiced Poached and Shredded Chicken with Coconut Fried Rice
During this exceptional time, we’re finding ourselves cooking at home more than ever – and for people living with a medical condition, who have been advised to stay at home for an extended period, there’s no better time to provide simple and healthy recipes to make their lives easier.
Here’s the second of three recipes for people living with kidney cancer – to help those who may wish to increase their appetite.
If you find your condition leads to a low appetite – here’s a few high-protein and high-calorie ingredients that may help… Having smaller portions more often may also be a useful trick
1 – Eggs
2 – Honey
3 – Poultry
And here’s a great dish to try out…
- 1 Onion
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- Handful of Coriander
- 8 Boneless Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 240g Pure Basmati Rice
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Tablespoon of Low Salt Soy Sauce - extra needed when frying
- Knob of Ginger
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Five Spice
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 2 Lime
- Sesame Oil
- Pick and separate the coriander leaves from the stacks and set the leaves aside.
- Put the chicken thighs in a large pan and add just enough water to cover. Add to this half an onion, spices and coriander stalks. Season, cover and poach for 20 minutes.
- Whilst your chicken is poaching, wash your rice until water is clear and soak in cold water for 15 minutes.
- After soaking, sieve your rice and cook in a saucepan with a can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of water. Stir once, bring to the boil and simmer and cover until the rice is cooked (10 minutes) and all the moisture is absorbed. When ready take off the heat, fluff with a fork and leave covered for a couple of minutes.
- Remove your chicken from the poaching water and shred with a knife and fork. Once shredded return to the empty saucepan.
- Make your sauce with soy, grated ginger, honey, half a lime juice, sesame seeds and a few tablespoons of water. Pour over your shredded chicken and lightly heat on a low flame.
- Finely dice the remaining half an onion and fry up with some oil in a wok.
- Lightly fry your coconut rice adding a drizzle of soy sauce, five spice, lime juice and more oil if needed. Fry rice until crispy - remember to scrape the pan as you go collecting all the crispy goodness.
- Pickle your sliced cucumber in some lime juice and add some chopped coriander.
- When all your dish is ready, stir into your rice some chopped coriander.
- Serve your dish with the crispy rice base, then some fresh pickled cucumber and top with your soy shredded chicken. For that extra kick sprinkle on some chili flakes.